If you need to move data around a lot or like to back up to cheaper internal drives, this USB 2.0 to IDE and SATA adapter from Newertech is going to be right up your street. As the price of HD drives drops, some find it cheaper to backup data to raw drives (without an enclosure) and pop em in the cupboard for archiving. We do that due to the large amounts of video data we generate and it works a treat.
Because USB 2.0 has a theoretical max data rste of 480mbs it can be used to copy data without any great delays. This new Universal Drive Adapter implements a bridge between one USB port and one ATA, Serial ATA, or ATAPI based mass storage device port. The USB 2.0 to IDE Drive Adapter turns any ATA or SATA drive into a convenient external drive. Easily transfer files from computer or notebook, back up files, or store large file archives on hard drives. The Hi-Speed USB interface provides for easy installation with its Plug and Play design.
The NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter has been tested with:
- 2.5" Laptop Drives - all brands
- 3.5" Desktop Drives - Works with all brands, including Maxtor, Seagate, IBM, Hitachi, Samsung, Western Digital, etc.
- 5.25" Drives - The adapter supports all existing IDE/ATAPI devices such as CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM drives.
- Removable Media drives, such as Iomega Zip.
- USB 2.0 to ATA connection (2 sided, for 2.5" and 3.5" drives), and a SATA connection.
- Connect any device with an ATA or SATA Interface to a Mac or PC with USB interface
- Transfer rate Approx. 480 MBps (USB 2.0)
- Complies with USB 2.0 standards
- Backwards compatible to USB 1.1 standards
- Complies with ATA/ATAPI-66 Spe. V1.0
- Compatible with SATA-I and SATA-II
- Simple to Install
- Supports IDE and enhanced IDE hard drives
- Supports ATA/ATAPI CD-ROM/R/RW DVD-ROM and more
- External AC adapter provides drive power
Currently priced at $24.95 â€“ itâ€™s a bargain