Fruity Loops Studio is some peoples idea of a dream drum pattern creation tool - but it's much more besides - as well as comprehensive pattern/song based music creation it can now record up to 64 simultaneous tracks (assuming you have the hardware) too.
We spoke to Tim Burwell from UK based distributor Et Cetera who gave us a demo of FL 7 in action together with girl-with-guitar Laura Radbone.
What is FL7?
FL Studio is a fully featured, open-architecture music creation and production environment for PC. No extra software is required to produce any style of music, as the complete set of instrument and studio tools is included in the cost of the package. With the included plugins, sounds and tools the user can create complete songs, as well as backing tracks, loops and sizzling beats. Completed songs can be saved to WAV, MP3 or MIDI or .ZIP or native project formats (.FLP).
Key new features and changes
- FL now supports track-based sequencing. Pattern Clips present sequence data in the method as Audio and Automation Clips.
- Edison replaces the Wave Editor - Edison is a fully integrated audio editing and recording tool complete with spectral analysis, convolution reverb + more.
- Love Philter - is a bank of 8 ganged filter units for total flexibility and creative filtering mayhem.
- Parametric EQ2 - introduces a mastering parametric EQ with spectral analysis.
- Event Automation can now be converted to Automation clips.
- Updated audio stretching engine for FL Studio & FL plugins (where applicable).
- Multi-core safe generators can now be threaded for performance gain on multi-core CPUs.
- Smoother audio 'record to disk' performance with high track-counts.
- Note OFF velocity support for the Piano roll, MIDI files, MIDI out & Sytrus.
- 'Smart Disable' mode for generator plugins, previously was effects only.
- A 'News Panel', to keep users updated with content and patches.
- Plugin windows can now be detached from the FL Studio desktop.
- DirectWave sampler now loads AIFF samples & includes a VST preset loader in auto sampler function.
- Sytrus gains multi-level â€˜Undoâ€™ a 'Cherry' phaser filter, 256 unit Harmonics editor (up from 128), automatable unison panning, volume and pitch.
- FPC acquires wave start/end point selection. SFZ export and loads AIFF, MP3 and REX files.
- Mono source recording. Mono ASIO inputs now handled by the mixer IN list.
- New user-definable keyboard velocity curve mapping in MIDI setup.
- Support for Apple Loops AIFF extensions.
Pricing and Availability:
FL Studio Express Edition: Download: $49 | Boxed: N/A.
FL Studio Fruityloops Edition: Download: $99 | Boxed: $139 SRP.
FL Studio Producer Edition: Download: $149 | Boxed: $209 SRP.
FL Studio XXL Edition: Download: $361| Boxed: $449 SRP.