Is Eminem bigger than the Beatles?
According to Nielsen Soundscan data for 2000-2009, he is.
Which means that the music industry has bigger problems to worry about than file-sharing.
Here are some more music industry facts from the last decade that may surprise you/blow your mind/make you angry:
- Eminem was the biggest selling artist for the decade, with more than 32 million album sales, followed by The Beatles, Tim McGraw, Toby Keith and Britney Spears.
- There were more than 6 billion album sales during the last decade.
- The Beatles’ Beatles 1 album was the biggest selling album for the decade with 11.6 million album sales. N’Sync’s No Strings Attached was the second biggest selling album with 11.1 album sales.
- There were more than 4.1 billion digital song downloads purchased over the past six years.
- Fifty-five percent of all albums purchased during the decade were CD’s, 3% were cassette’s, 4% were digital album sales and less than 1% were LP’s.
- The top 4 most played artists on the radio for the decade were all country artists; Toby Keith, George Strait and Alan Jackson were all 2, 3 and 4 respectively.
- The Nickelback song How You Remind Me was the most played song on the radio for the decade with more than 1.2 million spins.
At least the The Beatles beat N'Sync.