Audio Damage has introduced Discord3 - a "broad-reaching multi-effect plug-in".
The pitch-shifter consists of three separate algorithms: a "vintage" mode (the original Discord algorithm, modeled on the Eventide H910 and H949), a "clean" mode for more modern shifting sounds, and a "granular" mode for experimental effects. Each mode has its strengths, depending on the input material, and Discord3 has a broad palette of capabilities as a result. The P1 and P2 algorithms have full control over the buffer (window) size of the shift effect, for fine tuning the shift to the input signal, or for stranger sound effects. At the extremes of the six-octave shift range, some truly strange aliasing and artifacts can be had with this control.
Here's what they have to say about it:
If you're looking for a nice, clean diatonic pitch shifter for fine surgery and re-pitching the full program, you need to look elsewhere. Discord3 is a tool for sound design, barberpole shifting delays, and special effects; think Eno, Visconti, Bowie, or Dirty Mind-era Prince and you'll be on the right track.
Audio demos are available the Audio Damage site.
- Pitch Shifting: Discord3 contains a pair of shifters with three separate algorithms (Vintage, Clean, and Granular) for different styles of pitch shifting.
- Buffer Size Control: The P1 (Vintage) and P2 (Clean) algorithms have a Buffer Size control, from 32 to 2048 samples, for fine-tuning the pitch shifting effect.
- Delay: Tempo-synced or free-running delays with feedback, cross-feedback, and a sophisticated bandpass filter.
- Modulation: Discord3 has a pair of LFOs that can modulate delay time, pitch shift amount, and filter center frequency.
- True Stereo Operation: Discord3 has a true stereo signal path, with entirely independent control over each side.
- All New GUI: Discord3 has a completely re-designed GUI, with animated displays and a unique "grab-the-digit" value adjustment method.
- MIDI Note Control: Six octaves of pitch-shifting can be controlled with MIDI note input.
- Full MIDI Learn: Discord3 features MIDI learn for every parameter, for full hardware control.
Pricing and Availability
Discord3 is available now for AU/VST for OS X and VST for Windows Note: Discord3 for OS X is Intel only. There is no PPC version. 64-bit versions for both Windows and OS X will be available by mid-June.