First seen at last years Sounds Epxo, it seems only fitting that we paid a visit to the Kenton stand to see the final production model of the Killamix-mini MIDI controller.
With nine continuously variable v-pots â€“ they get feedback from the sequencer as well as transmitting on any MIDI channel, nine multi-mode switched (momentary, toggle etc) and a teeny joystick, you can use the Killamix-mini to control pretty much any sequencer/MIDI savvy software. CC numbers are fixed as most software will learn whatever you decide to throw at it -the Killamix allows you to change MIDI channels of each knob for multi-channel setups. Powered by USB, all functions are accessed via the hardware itself with no software editor required.
Features & Specifications
- The controller communicates via USB, has 9 endless rotary encoders, 9 push buttons and a joystick. It is USB bus powered for convenience.
- A single press of one of the 9 encoder knobs will select any MIDI channel from 1 to 9, (or pressing two knobs selects channels 10-16) LEDs indicate which MIDI channel is currently active.
- The encoders also 'remember' where they were when they were last used on that channel and display their position on the ring of leds around each knob, so you can change channel without fear of data jumps.
- The self-centering joystick can send information on the currently selected channel, and can be used for bending pitch or modulation control, or any other operation you wish to assign it to. Can be set as either two controllers with centre position 64, or as 4 controllers with centre as zero.
- The 9 push buttons send data on the selected MIDI channel and can 'remember' their on-off status, which is shown by internal LEDs. Each button can be set as one one of three modes - on only, on and off, or toggle.
- You can enable controller update mode so that information changed on your computer will update the values stored in the Killamix Mini.
- With the 9 channels available at the push of a single knob, you effectively have 81 endless controllers and 81 buttons at your fingertips in a very compact unit. (or 144 at the push of two knobs together)
- The whole unit is attractively styled in a sturdy aluminium box, finished in brushed aluminium and with matching solid aluminium knobs.