RjDJ's free Inception iOS app has now been downloaded over 3 million times. Much of its popularity is a reflection of the fact that it's a tie-in with an extremely popular movie and that it's free.
But it's also a very clever app that offers a new way to experience some great music, through "dreams".
Above, Hans Zimmer shares his thoughts on the Inception iOS application.
Below, some secrets of the Inception app:
- The latest dream in the app is a shared dream which puts people that are nearby into the same dream.
- The airport dream unlocks when you are at an airport and reacts to the airport announcement chime ( which is a musical third interval ).
- There is an easter egg in the app which is similar to the "kick" in the movie. You can take the kick whenever you hear the typical kick count down sequence. For a couple of seconds after that sequence "microgravity detection" is on. If you jump during microgravity detection or if somehow you are actually in space, the app will kick you out of your dream and take you back to reality. To prove that you are really not dreaming any more front facing camera comes on and you can take a picture of yourself. Loads of people shared those pictures on twitter, see picture above.
- The Africa dream is only unlock-able in Africa.
- Around full moon, there is a lot of chatter on Twitter about Inception The App, when people try to unlock the full moon dream.
- In the Traveling Dream, the synth imitates melodies of the surrounding. The tremolo on the synth and microphone input is synced to the noise level around you, which makes the noise of traveling part of the dream.
Pricing and Availability
Inception is a free app and is available now.