MOTU have just announced a new range of Thunderbolt interfaces. The 1248, 8M 16A each offer audio IO, internal DSP based mixing plus AVB audio networking via an Ethernet port.
Each unit uses the new generation ESS Sabre32 Ultra convetroy with 123dB Dynamic range with a round trip latency of 32 samples. Each IO offers front panel metering.
The DSP of all units have a 32 bit (floating point) 48-channel mixer which can take physical inputs, computer returns or networked audio with 7 stereo Auxes and three groups. On board effects include reverb, modeled 4-band EQ, compression and gating. Additionally there's a routing matrix allowing for complex routing for IO inculding channel splitting.
Finally the AVB audio netowrk port (Audio Video Bridging) designed to engineer scalable, low-latency, high-bandwidth networking. Additional interfaces from the range can be integrated using the AVB port over CAT-5e With the optional 1-Gigabit MOTU AVB switch, its possible to hook up between three and five interfaces using a simple networking setup.
With networking setup, its possible to add a Wifi router into the mix and control of the 48-channel mixer via a web app ruuning on tablet, laptop or smartphone.
All three interfaces and the AVB switch are shipping now, each interfaces is $1495, AVB switch $295
1248, 8M and 16A features
- Superb audio quality -- For example, all balanced TRS analog outputs produce 123 dB dynamic range and -110 dB THD+N (0.0003%) at -1 dBFS, Unweighted, 1 kHz.
- Universal connectivity -- Connects to your computer with Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 (compatible with USB 3.0). Class-compliant firmware and Industry standard drivers work with any audio software.
- On-board DSP with mixing and effects -- Flexible 48-input digital mixer modeled after large format mixing consoles, with 12 stereo busses and DSP effects, including reverb, 4-band EQ, gate, and compression.
- 32-bit floating point processing -- The DSP engine for mixing and effects delivers virtually unlimited headroom and the utmost in sound quality.
- Modeled vintage effects processing -- Classic reverb. Compression modeled after the legendary LA-2A compressor. EQ modeled after British analog console EQs.
System expansion and audio networking -- Add a 2nd MOTU AVB interface (1248, 8M or 16A) with a simple Cat-5e ethernet cable. Connect up to five MOTU interfaces using a MOTU AVB Switch (sold separately). Build a network with multiple interfaces and computers using standard AVB switches and network cabling, with ultra-low network latency, even over long cable runs (hundreds of meters). Stream hundreds of audio channels among devices and computers on the network.
The MOTU AVB Switch for system expansion and AVB audio networking.
- Matrix routing and splitting -- Flexible, matrix-style audio routing and splitting for any analog or digital input, computer channel or network stream to any other output, computer, or network device. Split any single input to unlimited multiple output destinations.
- 256 channels of network audio I/O for your host computer -- Record and monitor up to 128 networked audio channels in and out, simultaneously, through the Thunderbolt connection to a host computer.
- Web app control -- Control on-board DSP, mixing, device settings, and network audio routing from web app software running in your favorite browser on a laptop, tablet or smart phone connected by wire or Wi-Fi to your local area network.
- Stand-alone mixing with wireless control -- Connect an Apple Airport™ or other Wi-Fi router directly to the 1248, 8M or 16A with a standard Ethernet cable and control the powerful on-board mixing and DSP effects from your smart phone or tablet, without a computer. Great for live sound mixing.
- ADAT digital I/O -- Connect outboard digital processors, digital mixers or other gear. 16 channels at 44.1/48 kHz or 8 channels at 88.2/96 kHz.
- Comprehensive metering -- The large backlit 324 x 24 LCD lets you view all signal activity at a glance with detailed metering for all analog and digital I/O. Access hardware settings from a simple and convenient menu.