Plankton Electronics has launched a Kickstarter campaign for Ants! - a semi-modular synthesizer in a desktop format. Here's more details in their own words...
A powerful and deep electronic musical instrument. Explore, patch, tweak, enjoy and create your own music. Feel the power of an analog synth!
- Analog: true analog electronics and sound.
- Semi-modular: connect the different parts and functions with standard 3.5mm pacth cords to create from classic to weird and new sounds.
- Affordable: Ants! retail price will be 480€. Just a fraction of the cost of a basic eurorack modular system.
- Compatible: 100% compatible with the eurorack voltage system and patching cords. It can be expanded it with most of the eurorack modules available in the market.
- Portable: small size and desktop format. Measures: 222 x 132 x 45 mm
- Big: despite the small size Ants! have a lot of features which make it very powerful and versatile. Much more than a basic modular system.
- 4 Oscillators: yes, 4! V/Oct triangle-core oscillators. 2 of them switchable to LFO. Combining sinusoidal, triangle, saw, square and pulse with PWM. Play chords, detuned basses, octaved leads, drums, and frequency modulated sounds.
- 2 LFOs: 2 low frequency oscillators with triangle, square and pulse outputs.
- VCF: switchable analog 12dB low-pass / 6db high-pass filter with resonance. At high input volumes it distort the signal. Self oscillating. It can sound crystal clear or really dirty.
- 2 A/R envelopes: 2 attack - release envelopes with manual and external controls. Working at different times.
- Mixer: 3 input mixer. Mix oscillators, envelopes, noise or any other AC or DC signal.
- 2 VCAs: control the level of the signals with 2 analog VCAs.
- Noise: a white noise source!
- Sample and Hold: create random voltages, stepped sequences or dither your sounds or even your own voice.
- AND gate: logic AND gate. Combine oscillators to create new waves, combine LFOs to create different patterns or mix your control signals to create complex modulations.
- MIDI to CV: connect any MIDI keyboard, sequencer or computer and transform the digital signal to analog voltages for controlling the synth.
- 49 patch points, 28 potentiometers, 5 switches and 8 leds.
- Normalized: Some connections are already made between some functions. Just connect your Midi or CV controller and play the synth without patching it. You can break any connection by plugging a patch cord to the normalized input.
Pricing and Availability:
From 460 Euros